Year In Review
2016-2017 Annual Report
During the 2016–17 school year, Education Through Music worked to support student learning in music and in all areas and to build capacity among school and community members to sustain programs. ETM used music to support the education of nearly 27,000 inner-city students through partnerships with 46 New York City schools in all five boroughs in New York City.
Over the course of the year ETM provided:
- Students with comprehensive, sequential, and skills-, and standards-based music instruction as well as enrichment programs.
- Music teachers with ongoing training, mentoring, and oversight.
- Classroom teachers with professional development.
- Principals with leadership and program management guidance.
- Parents and community members with opportunities to learn about music education and to see their children perform.
This year, ETM strengthened infrastructure in an effort to improve program quality and deepen our impact on students. We especially focused on improving mentoring and professional development for music teachers. Training enhancements included broadening workshop topics by engaging guest facilitators, with multiple sessions addressing teaching in an urban environment. Enhancements to instruction included the fall launch of a music technology lab at M.S. 529 in the Bronx. Students experienced enlivened instruction through keyboard workstations that include the latest music-making software.