Become a Music Teacher with ETM!
NOW HIRING FOR THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
Job responsibilities include:
- Serving as school music faculty
- Coordinating and developing the in-school music program with program staff
- Producing two all-school concerts each year
Each music teacher’s program is designed in consultation with Education Through Music’s Program Staff and based on ETM’s curriculum and benchmarks. Lesson planning is required and will be reviewed on a regular basis. We provide all ETM Music Teachers with ongoing professional development, training and mentoring.
- An elective employee-contributed health coverage plan is available
- Opportunities for tuition reimbursement
- Part-time and full-time teaching opportunities available
Pedagogical approach is Orff influenced and we provide a variety of tools and resources including:
- Orff instruments
- Other String Instruments
Applicants must possess a BA or Master’s Degree in Music, Education, or Fine Arts (Music Education a plus)
- Previous classroom teaching experience is strongly preferred
- Singing, conducting, keyboard, guitar and presentation skills are all pluses
ETM welcomes applicants who hold or are pursuing certification, and seeks placements that will support the career advancement of certified teachers.
Individuals who do not currently hold ‘eligible’ status for classroom teaching from the NYC Department of Education (DOE) will be asked to undergo a fingerprinting and background check by the NYC DOE PETS system. Only those cleared by the DOE who receive ‘eligible’ status are eligible for hire by ETM.
All those invited to interview will be asked to present a mock lesson to the discipline of the desired position.
ETM seeks a full-time Instructional Supervisor (This is a 12 month position)
Provide effective instructional supervision involving raising student achievement and creating valuable educational opportunities for students. Provide guidance, support, and continuous assessment to teachers for their professional development and improvement in the teaching-learning process. Assist with the management of school partnerships, including relationship and communications with school leadership. Contribute to ETM’s professional development knowledge base, resources and overall teacher training capabilities.
- On-site visits to mentor music teachers (average 3 days/week)
- Design an achievable professional development plan to strengthen music teachers’ skills, leverage the individual teacher’s current skill set and capitalizing on their strengths
- Provide actionable feedback to music teachers and document their progress
- Assist, guide and train music teachers in developing musical activities, lesson plans, curriculum, assessment strategies, producing performances based on ETM benchmarks and training materials
- Assist with the management of school partnerships, including relationship and communications with school leadership
- Contribute to ETM’s professional development knowledge base, resources and overall teacher training
- Regular local travel required to visit ETM partner school locations within the five boroughs of New York City
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education or related Music field
- 2-3 years primary or secondary classroom teaching experience
- Expertise in choir, string orchestra or band
- Vocal/instrumental performance capabilities
- Musical theory and notation literacy
- Understanding of music pedagogy, educational theory and child development
- Knowledge of specific musical repertoire and genres
- Knowledge of curriculum design and pedagogic methodology
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literate, including MS Office Suite
- State teacher certification
- 1-2 years of Supervisory experience (not students)
- Master’s Degree
- 7 years primary or secondary classroom teaching experience (preferably urban)
- Staff/project management experience
- Experience in both general music and instrumental ensemble (band/orchestra.)
- Advanced vocal or instrumental performance capabilities, particularly guitar, piano and vocal
- Choral/instrumental conducting
- Advanced practical understanding of music pedagogy, educational theory and child development
- Additional certifications ie.; Orff, Kodaly, Dalcroze and/or other music teaching pedagogies
Evaluation Field Associate (Part-Time) – The Evaluation Field Associate carries out data collection efforts in a subset of our partner schools in order to study ETM’s impact. Data collection occurs in Spring of each school year and is therefore a temporary position lasting from mid-May until late June. Field Associates work in pairs and report to the Senior Evaluation Associate and Director of Evaluation.
- Travel within the five boroughs to ETM partner schools, primarily schools in the Bronx.
- Schedule and commit to on time for appointments with schools, ranging from the hours of 8 am – 2:30 pm.
- Understand and adhere to data collection protocols.
- Verbally administer student assent.
- Administer 20 minute surveys to small groups of students from 3rd – 8th grades.
- Maintain control of room in order to expedite survey administration.
- Deliver collected surveys to the ETM office in an organized and timely manner.
- Communicate with teachers, principals, students, and school staff.
- Communicate with partner Field Associate and Evaluation staff.
- Prior experience with research or data collection preferred but not necessary.
- Must be able to pass NYC Department of Education background check.
- Spanish language fluency preferred.
- Proactive, responsible, detail-oriented, and strong communication and organization skills.
- Able to travel within the five boroughs to school appointments.
- Able to commit to 4-5 school visits per week, excluding travel time (MetroCard provided, minimum of 10-12 hours per week).
- Must attend training session.
Click here to apply for this position
ETM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. A copy of our Affirmative Action Plan is available upon request to email@example.com.