Become a Music Teacher with ETM!
NOW HIRING FOR THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
Job responsibilities include:
- Serving as school music faculty
- Coordinating and developing the in-school music program with program staff
- Producing two all-school concerts each year
Each music teacher’s program is designed in consultation with Education Through Music’s Program Staff and based on ETM’s curriculum and benchmarks. Lesson planning is required and will be reviewed on a regular basis. We provide all ETM Music Teachers with ongoing professional development, training and mentoring.
- An elective employee-contributed health coverage plan is available
- Opportunities for tuition reimbursement
- Part-time and full-time teaching opportunities available
Pedagogical approach is Orff influenced and we provide a variety of tools and resources including:
- Orff instruments
- Other String Instruments
Applicants must possess a BA or Master’s Degree in Music, Education, or Fine Arts (Music Education a plus)
- Previous classroom teaching experience is strongly preferred
- Singing, conducting, keyboard, guitar and presentation skills are all pluses
ETM welcomes applicants who hold or are pursuing certification, and seeks placements that will support the career advancement of certified teachers.
Individuals who do not currently hold ‘eligible’ status for classroom teaching from the NYC Department of Education (DOE) will be asked to undergo a fingerprinting and background check by the NYC DOE PETS system. Only those cleared by the DOE who receive ‘eligible’ status are eligible for hire by ETM.
All those invited to interview will be asked to present a mock lesson to the discipline of the desired position.
ETM seeks a full-time Instructional Supervisor (This is a 12 month position)
Provide effective instructional supervision involving raising student achievement and creating valuable educational opportunities for students. Provide guidance, support, and continuous assessment to teachers for their professional development and improvement in the teaching-learning process. Assist with the management of school partnerships, including relationship and communications with school leadership. Contribute to ETM’s professional development knowledge base, resources and overall teacher training capabilities.
- On-site visits to mentor music teachers (average 3 days/week)
- Design an achievable professional development plan to strengthen music teachers’ skills, leverage the individual teacher’s current skill set and capitalizing on their strengths
- Provide actionable feedback to music teachers and document their progress
- Assist, guide and train music teachers in developing musical activities, lesson plans, curriculum, assessment strategies, producing performances based on ETM benchmarks and training materials
- Assist with the management of school partnerships, including relationship and communications with school leadership
- Contribute to ETM’s professional development knowledge base, resources and overall teacher training
- Regular local travel required to visit ETM partner school locations within the five boroughs of New York City
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education or related Music field
- 2-3 years primary or secondary classroom teaching experience
- Expertise in choir, string orchestra or band
- Vocal/instrumental performance capabilities
- Musical theory and notation literacy
- Understanding of music pedagogy, educational theory and child development
- Knowledge of specific musical repertoire and genres
- Knowledge of curriculum design and pedagogic methodology
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literate, including MS Office Suite
- State teacher certification
- 1-2 years of Supervisory experience (not students)
- Master’s Degree
- 7 years primary or secondary classroom teaching experience (preferably urban)
- Staff/project management experience
- Experience in both general music and instrumental ensemble (band/orchestra.)
- Advanced vocal or instrumental performance capabilities, particularly guitar, piano and vocal
- Choral/instrumental conducting
- Advanced practical understanding of music pedagogy, educational theory and child development
- Additional certifications ie.; Orff, Kodaly, Dalcroze and/or other music teaching pedagogies
PUBLIC RELATIONS AND MARKETING POSITIONS
We are looking for a Director of Public Relations & Marketing to design and implement marketing strategies that cultivate our relationships with media, engage our target audience and boost our brand awareness.
If you’re interested in leading our PR/Marketing team to write effective press releases, build online communities and coordinate events, we would like to meet you. You will use your creative ideas to drive initiatives that’ll bring long-term success. Also, you’ll coordinate with internal teams (e.g. Development and Programs) to maximize brand consistency in all advertising efforts.
Ultimately, you will promote and maintain a positive image of our company, while ensuring strong online and offline brand presence.
This position is responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of ETM’s public relations and marketing strategies; developing and maintaining a consistent brand presence; and coordinating ETM’s communication pieces including newsletters, brochures, videos, social media, media relations and website development.
- Set objectives for the PR/Marketing team and monitor and develop team members’ performance
- Maximize brand presence on various channels (e.g. web, TV and social media)
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with media and influential professionals
- Ensure brand consistency in all advertising efforts
- Work closely with the development team to build donor support
- Organize PR events to increase awareness of our company
- Track and influence media coverage
- Report on PR campaigns’ results
- Manage sensitive issues to maintain company’s good reputation
- Develop a vision for ETM’s image and position, ensuring consistent communication of image and position throughout the Organization and to all constituencies, both internal and external
- Develop and maintain a constituent-focused messaging and motivational strategy by identifying and describing ETM’s main audiences, researching their values needs, expectations, and defining the actions ETM would want them to take
- Create, implement and measure the success of comprehensive marketing and PR campaigns to increase ETM’s awareness among the general public, donors, government and other key influencers
- Spearhead media plans and actively engage press interest in the Organization, making regular contact with key media professionals and providing timely and appropriate responses to media requests
- Oversee digital marketing strategies including SEO, SEM and ETM’s online presence
- Collaborate closely with ETM’s Development team for editorial, design, production and distribution of all Organization publications (print and electronic), stationery, and branded materials including building donor support
- Collaborate with ETM’s Program department to communicate about ETM’s success in schools, create promotional materials to support Program initiatives, and support recruitment of new teachers
- Develop the organization’s marketing budget and manage within it
- Proven work experience as a Public Relations Director, Manager or similar role
- Solid experience coordinating successful PR and Marketing campaigns
- Expertise in different social networks, including Facebook and Twitter
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with confidence to serve as the company’s spokesperson
- Creative abilities
- Team management skills
- Ability to foster long-term relationships with key professionals
- BS in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or relevant field
Click here to apply for this position
Development Associate – Government, Research, and Communications
Education Through Music (ETM) seeks a full-time Development Associate to support and grow ETM’s fundraising and stewardship, with a focus on engagement and communication with government supporters. This person will serve as the lead contact to the offices of over 70 government officials, lead efforts regarding government-funded grants, and contribute to a variety of prospect research and communications efforts. This position requires extensive writing and research in collaboration with other staff, both within and outside the development department and including the Executive Director.
- Initiate, steward and enhance key relationships with government offices at the city, state, and federal levels.
- Write and submit discretionary funding requests, follow-up applications, contracts, and reports, including narrative and financial information.
- Maintain awareness of music education advocacy and policy developments; keep staff/stakeholders informed; represent ETM at Arts Advocacy Day or similar events.
- Conduct prospect research of individuals and institutions in furtherance of department-wide growth strategies.
- Craft written materials for various grant and non-grant opportunities, including letters and applications; provide editorial support to other departments; oversee department manual and updates.
- Collaborate with Director of Development and development team on ongoing fundraising strategy, implementation, and tracking.
- Exceptional writing, editing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to represent the organization to outside individuals and organizations professionally and with diplomacy.
- Highly detail-oriented with excellent computer, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment as a team player and to take initiative.
- Experience conducting research.
- Experience using databases.
- Interest in public policy; familiarity with New York City government.
- Comfort with financial data.
3 – 5 years of related work experience.
The salary range for this position is $55,000 – 60,000 per year.
Please address your cover letter to Katherine Canning, Director of Development.
ETM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. A copy of our Affirmative Action Plan is available upon request to email@example.com.