Education Through Music forms long-term partnerships with inner-city elementary, middle and K-8 schools that lack the resources to develop school-wide music programs. Music is taught both as a subject in its own right and as a means of supporting learning in other areas. Each partnership aims to support students' learning and development in music and in all areas, and to build capacity among school and community members to sustain programs.
In collaboration with each principal, each partnership employs the following components to reinforce music's role as a core subject:
- Music instruction for every child that follows a skills-based, comprehensive and sequential curriculum that aligns with State and National Arts Learning Standards and the Common Core Standards
- Integration to support student learning in a range of areas
- Professional development to improve instruction and to increase support and understanding of arts education in the school community
- Enrichment opportunities, such as band and orchestra programs, visiting artists, and summer camp scholarships
- Evaluation and assessment
- Outreach to parents and community
- Long-term planning for sustaining instruction
ETM hires music teachers to serve as music faculty where needed, so that each partner school can provide music as a core subject to every student, both general and special education, regardless of talent or ability. We work with a variety of collaborating organizations to provide enrichment opportunities to students. We provide ongoing training and mentoring to ETM Music Teachers and any music teachers hire by our schools; professional development to classroom teachers; and one-on-one and group leadership and strategic planning guidance to principals. We speak at parent meetings. We assess programs through ongoing communication, skills assessments, observation rubrics, surveys and other analysis.
Interested in learning about becoming an ETM Partner School? Contact us via email.
For a full list of our 2015-16 New York City Partner Schools, please see our Schools page.